Our Current Travels

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Mesa Verde National Park



The last few days we have been camped at the cg inside the park. The closest town is Cortez, CO. Mesa Verde is home to the largest collection of Cliff Dwellings in the world. The Ancestral Puebloans occupied the Four Corner region from AD 1 to AD1300. Over that time period they lived in pit houses, cliff dwellings and above ground complexes. It was very interesting and quite a learning experience. We did a tour that left the cg that was put on by Aramark (not the Park Service). I wasn't sure about it but for only $25 we gave it a try. Well, the guide was very knowledgeable and as it turned out, we were the only people on the tour so it was essentially a private tour. It lasted almost 7 hrs and was well worth it in time and money spent. Randy spoke the entire time and if I remember 1/4 of what he said I'd be doing well. He is a retired Park Ranger and spends his time now doing these interpretive tours.










This last picture is from The Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park. I have been meaning to up load it and haven't till now.



(as always, double click the photo to enlarge)

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you took the tour! I've always found the cliff dwellings fascinating. We all miss you; the weather and colors here are lovely. We just had a whirlwind weekend in Florida; I'll post lots of pictures on my blog. I'm so glad you're getting great color and scenery on your travels; I know how Karla loves Fall.

    ReplyDelete